728th Main Support Battalion
"Pride of the State"
Organized 27 July 1878 in the Pennsylvania Army National Guard (PAARNG) as the Franklin Guard, at Chambersburg, PA.
Redesignated 11 October 1878 as Company C, 8th Infantry. Disbanded 19 June 1884 at Chambersburg, PA.
Reconstituted 5 September 1884 as Company A, 3d Brigade, and organized at Chambersburg, PA.
Redesignated 3 June 1887 as Company C, 8th Infantry.
Mustered into Federal Service 12 May 1898 at Mount Gretna, PA, for the War with Spain as Company C, 8th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Mustered out of Federal Service 7 March 1899 at Augusta, GA.
Mustered into Federal Service 9 July 1916 at Mount Gretna, PA, for service on the Mexican border. Mustered out of Federal Service 27 February 1917 at Chambersburg, PA.
Drafted and mustered into Federal Service 5 August 1917 at Chambersburg, PA, later consolidated with Company C, 16th Infantry (organized 1898) 11 October 1917 and redesignated as Company C, 112th Infantry, an element of the 28th Division.
Mustered out of Federal Service 6 May 1919 at Camp Dix, NJ.
Reorganized 8 March 1921 as Company C, 8th Infantry, at Chambersburg, PA, before being Federally recognized 22 March 1921.
Converted and redesignated 1 June 1921 as Troop E, 104th Cavalry, an element of the 22d Cavalry Division.
Converted and redesignated 23 September 1940 as Battery E, 166th Field Artillery, and relieved from assignment to 22d Cavalry Division.
Inducted into Federal Service 13 January 1941 at Chambersburg, PA, for World War II.
Reorganized 7 March 1943 and redesignated as Battery B, 939th Field Artillery Battalion.
Inactivated 23 October 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, VA.
Converted and redesignated 24 May 1946 as the 728th Ordnance Maintenance Company, an element of the 28th Infantry Division. Federally recognized 11 December 1946 at Chambersburg, PA.
Ordered into Federal Service 5 September 1950 at Chambersburg, PA, for the Korean War.
Reorganized and redesignated 1 April 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 728th Ordnance Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division. (Organic elements concurrently constituted and activated.)
Organized and federally recognized 25 January 1954 as the 728th Ordnance Battalion (NGUS) with Headquarters at Lock Haven, PA. Released 15 June 1954 from active Federal Service and reverted to state control and stationed at Lock Haven, PA.
Reorganized and redesignated 1 April 1963 as the 728th Maintenance Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division with Headquarters at Lock Haven, PA.
Converted, reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1992 as the 728th Main Support Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division.