This is an official
U.S. Army Website

  - Home - Schools & Units - 23rd Brigade - 244th -

23rd QM Seal

The 244th Quartermaster Battalion

The 244th Quartermaster Battalion trains and provides support to four Advanced Individual Training companies: Alpha, Golf, Papa and Whiskey companies are composed of Soldiers training in the use of automated logistics systems, unit supply, and warehouse operations within the Logistics Training Department (LTD) – 92A and 92Y Soldiers.

- 244th BN History -
- Organization Chart & Contacts -

 

HISTORY OF THE 244TH QUARTERMASTER BATTALION


The 244th Quartermaster Battalion was constituted on 12 January 1942 as the 244th Quartermaster Service Battalion and formally activated at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, on 25 January 1942 in preparation for overseas duty. The 244th Quartermaster Service Battalion was organized around four Quartermaster service companies (3262, 3263, 3264, and the 3265).

During World War II, the 244th Quartermaster Service Battalion participated in three battle campaigns, Normandy, Northern France, and Central Europe. As a result of the battalion’s outstanding combat service during World War II, it was awarded the European Theater Meritorious Unit Commendation streamer and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm and Streamer embroidered Normandy. The 244th Quartermaster Service Battalion was inactivated on 18 September 1946 in Germany, following World War II.

On 8 November 1961 the battalion was redesigned the 244th Quartermaster Battalion and reactivated at Fort Lee, Virginia. In 1962 the battalion was inactivated at Fort Lee and was reactivated at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, on 24 June 1963. On 17 June,1965 the 244th Quartermaster Battalion was deactivated and two direct support Quartermaster companies (the 624th and 625th Quartermaster Companies) were formed.

On 12 February 1987 the 244th Quartermaster Battalion was again activated at Fort Lee, Virginia, to join the 23d Quartermaster Brigade under the Regimental System. The 244th Quartermaster Battalion assumed the former composite/training mission of the 4th Battalion, Quartermaster Brigade, upon the 4th Battalion’s deactivation. The battalion was comprised of 7 companies to include QMC, HHC, A, D (NCOA), G, W, and the 392nd Army Band.

The battalion underwent several realignments form October 1989 to the present. The battalion’s structure today is comprised of A, G, P and W Companies, with administrative support and control of the Logistics Training Department.


Bact to Top

244th Organization Chart & Contacts

Bact to Top

 

This page was last updated on: May 22, 2017